The Strode College Trampolining Squad continue their excellent record of achievements having attained some fantastic results recently in a number of tough competitions.
The annual Somerset Colleges Trampolining Competition, which was hosted at Strode College, saw some brilliant outcomes, both for Strode’s individual and team trampolinists. The Ladies Elite team did exceptionally well, gaining an overall gold medal. Making up the team were:
- Abbie Lockyer (from Walton and previously at Crispin School);
- Cora Hayne (from Chilton Polden and previously at Crispin School);
- Marie Lush (from Burtle and previously at Crispin School);
- Beth Howe (from Catcott and previously at Crispin School);
Individually, Abbie Lockyer achieved a gold medal, a terrific achievement considering she had only recently returned to the sport after a year off with a back injury, and Cora Hayne won a silver.
The Strode Men’s Elite team also did a great job, coming a very close second. The students who made up the team were:
- Tom Coburn (from Shepton Mallet)
- Will Delaittre-Smith (from Shepton Mallet and previously at The Blue School)
- Matt Bracher (from Yeovil and previously at Chilton Cantelo)
Individually, Tom Coburn won gold, performing a very difficult routine, in what was a very closely fought competition.
The Strode Ladies Novice team came third, a fantastic performance considering they were up against some very experienced opposition. Students in the team were:
- Jade Parker (from Yeovil and previously at Preston School)
- Alysha Branchflower (from Street and previously at Crispin School)
- Sophie Pritchard (from Bruton and previously at King Arthur’s Community School)
- Lucy Iredale (from Yeovil and previously at Stanchester Academy)
Alysha Branchflower gained seventh position individually, less than one point away from bronze in a very close competition.
In the regional round of the British Schools Gymnastic Competition, held in Taunton, the Strode Men’s Intermediate team did brilliantly, coming second overall. Individually Tom Coburn came first; Matt Bracher was seventh; and Will Delaittre-Smith came eleventh.
The Strode Ladies Elite team had a fantastic day, also coming second overall. Individually Abbie Lockyer came second, Cora Hayne was sixth, and Marie Lush came ninth. Both teams have qualified through to the follow-on ‘Zonal’ round where schools and colleges from Southern England compete against each other.
Trampolining is one of many sports offered to Strode College students as part of the college’s programme of enrichment activities.