Fear fans are being urged to scare off the waste of Halloween with some simple tricks and treats.
From great food to home-made costume capers, Halloween is a chance to enjoy saving money, materials and time – or risks being a frightful mess, warns Somerset Waste Partnership (SWP).
Its advice is clear: cut waste, get creative, have fun and save cash by exploring charity shop ideas, making the most of existing resources, and avoiding one-use supermarket plastic rubbish.
- Save the seeds and flesh of your carved pumpkins so you can create superfood meals and snacks.
- Dodge dodgy supermarket costumes and props for charity shop discoveries that can even be re-donated.
- Get crafty with items and materials already around your house to make super spooky decorations.
- Keep anything recyclable – ghostly bedsheets to party cans and bottles – out of the rubbish bin.
- Allow expiring pumpkins to live again by composting the remains or adding them to the food waste bin.
For ideas galore for scarily good recipes, costumes and decorations, as well as top tips on growing pumpkins from this year’s free seeds, see SWP’s website: www.somersetwaste.gov.uk