Grants still available to reduce risk of flooding

IMG_4930Home owners and businesses in Mendip who were directly affected by flooding last winter are being reminded they can still apply for a grant of up to £5,000 to help reduce the risk of flooding of their properties in the future.

The Government-funded Repair and Renew Grant scheme can provide grants for additional flood resilience or flood resistance measures for homes and businesses that have been hit by the floods, over and above repairs that would normally be covered by insurance. Affected residents need to apply to their local district council to bid for the grant. If a grant is approved it will be paid when the works have been completed.

Any home or business damaged by the floods between 1 December 2013 and 31 March 2014 could be eligible for a grant. There are number of criteria to satisfy – for example the interior of the property must have been damaged and applicants must not have received or applied for other sources of public or insurance funding to carry out the same work. In some cases a surveyor’s report will be needed to identify the most appropriate works and part of the grant can cover this cost up to £500.

Even if you have already fitted new measures following last winter’s flooding you can still apply for the grant retrospectively to help with the cost. However, all applications need to be lodged by the end of December this year with work completed by the end of March 2015.

Environment Minister Dan Rogerson MP said: “By making some small changes to your house you will reduce the chance of your house flooding in the future. Please do not miss this opportunity to protect your home.”

Nigel Woollcombe-Adams, Portfolio holder for Built Environment, said; “Although Mendip wasn’t as badly affected by the recent floods as some of our neighboring districts we haven’t forgotten those Mendip households who were. This is a great opportunity to protect your homes and ensure that the flood damage we saw in 2013/2014 isn’t repeated. Make the most of the funding on offer and keep your home dry this winter.”

Anyone wishing to find out more or to start an application should contact their local district council:

·         Mendip District Council: Ask for Private Sector Housing on 01749 341490

·         Information is also available online at: